The mission of The Shelf Awareness Book Club is to develop a culture of reading and engagement at California Health Sciences University. The club encourages a wide variety of literature that can include an array of genre and subject matter.
We aim to:
- Encourage reading for all
- Bring awareness to the different types of publications in literature, writings or, reading
- Create a community of engaged readers and thinkers
- Foster a lifelong appreciation for the written word
- HAVE FUN!
What Are We Reading This Month?
The Sandman Vol.1: Preludes and Nocturnes
by Neil Gaiman, Sam Keith, Mike Dringenberg
In PRELUDES & NOCTURNES, an occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On his arduous journey Morpheus encounters Lucifer, John Constantine, and an all-powerful madman.
This book also includes the story “The Sound of Her Wings,” which introduces us to the pragmatic and perky goth girl Death.
This Month’s Book Master
|Name: Anna Yang|
Meeting Place: June 2, 2017 | Classroom 2
Activities: Please be prepared to share the following:
I highly encourage you to bring food to share, seeing as it will be our first meeting. We will be doing another “activity” through out the meeting, which I have called “I am Dream, hear me SPEAK.”
Penalty: If you have not finished the book and do not opt out of this book by May 24, 2017 5:00 PM, the penalty for non-book-finishers is to wear a black cloak in honor of Dream for the entire meeting. This cloak will be provided by the Book Master.
Just So You Know
- This is strictly voluntary and at-will
- Members can choose to opt out of any chosen book or month without explanation
- Open to staff and faculty at CHSU only
- Books and works of any genre can be submitted by members
- Be open to new ideas and different types of published works
- Share your opinion, thoughts, and feelings at each meeting
- Discrimination and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated
- Food at each meeting is highly encouraged
- MOST IMPORTANTLY do not forget to laugh and enjoy each other’s company